Harborlight Community Partners’ is seeking a full-time Property Manager to perform primarily office or non manual work directly related to managing affordable rental housing and includes the exercise of discretion and independent judgment with respect to matters of significance. The Property Manager, as the on-site agent for Harborlight Community Partners, manages all aspects of daily operations, including: resident and community relations, financial management, record keeping, marketing and leasing, program compliance, maintenance and repair, capital improvements including replacement reserve projects and the provision of resident services in accordance with the management plan.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Resident Selection and Orientation – Manages applicant list on first come first serve basis in accordance with property and program requirements, fair housing regulations and resident selection plan. Qualifies each applicant as meeting applicable income and asset guidelines. Performs prequalification process including orientation meeting to review requirements of lease contract and house rules. Conducts applicant lotteries as required.
- Leasing Manages marketing and advertising process to assure full occupancy. Maintains waiting list including at least annual communications to prospective residents. Responds to contacts from prospective applicants and provides application information and tours as needed. Processes move-ins and move-outs and annual lease renewals and income re-certifications. Uses applicable rent schedule and utility allowance to determine tenant rent and updates rent schedule and utility allowances in a timely manner.
- Collections and Deposits Ensures resident pays rent and security deposit at time of move-in and that rent is paid each month. Performs timely follow-up and institutes collection procedures as needed for delinquencies. Ensures reconciliation of resident account and return of security deposit (if applicable) at move-out. Makes bank deposits, enters same into management system and reconciles activity each month. Makes vending and laundry deposits to proper accounts.
- Application Processing Receives and processes completed applications. Completes reference checks, CORI checks and other applicable screening to ensure quality residents.
- Income Certification of Residents Performs income certifications for new and renewing residents in accordance with applicable program guidelines for the property. Conducts a timely recertification process for renewing a resident lease and recertification.
- Eviction Procedures conducts eviction procedures as needed including documentation of relevant information.
- Coordination with Rental Assistance Providers – Coordinates applicant screening, certifications/re-certifications, move-ins and inspections with housing authorities or other agencies providing rental assistance.
- Resident Satisfaction Maintains a cordial presence and responds to resident concerns and requests appropriately in accordance with established procedures. Actively encourages community development among residents through social gatherings and regularly scheduled events. Works with resident committees (either formal or informal) as needed to encourage their participation in the community.
- Resident Services Works closely with the on-site resident Service Coordinator and/or service providers to ensure the provision of resident services per program and property plans.
- File Management Maintains resident and office files in accordance with regulatory and company requirements both in paper form and in the management system. Reviews files to ensure compliance and cooperates with any audits.
- Financial Management Operates the property against approved budgets and makes adjustments in spending and scheduling as needed. Monitors monthly financial statements and reports on significant variances. Under the direction of the Regional Manager, prepares annual operating and capital budgets in accordance with property requirements.
- Coordination with the Finance Department works cooperatively with the finance staff and maintains open communication in matters relating to income and expenditures. Performs all duties relating to tenant receipts, deposits, invoice processing, petty cash, credit card usage and record management accurately and in a manner consistent with company policy and standards of business practice. Processes move-outs promptly in the management system so that the resident’s security deposit can be returned in a timely fashion. Manage security deposit accounts, interest, deductions, etc. in compliance with applicable state and federal laws.
- Maintenance Management – Maintains property by investigating and resolving facility issues; enforcing rules of occupancy; inspecting vacant units and ensuring completed repairs; planning renovations; contracting with landscaping, snow removal and other required services; maintaining building systems by contracting for maintenance services; and supervising repairs. Processes work orders and ensure timely completion of work to applicable standards. Ensures annual unit inspections and weekly common area inspections. Oversees contracting with vendors, ensuring necessary standards are met and approvals are obtained.
- Ensures the provision of emergency on-call support and participates in on-call support as needed.
- Ensures proper response and handling of all community emergencies with staff, residents, buildings, etc. within company guidelines (i.e., criminal activity on community, employee/resident injuries, fires, floods, freezes, evacuations, etc.).
- Takes necessary actions to secure property including (as needed) contracting with security patrol service; installing and maintaining security devices; establishing and enforcing precautionary policies and procedures; responding to emergencies.
- Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization’s policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees (in conjunction with human resources staff and Regional Manager); planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
- Attends and participates in departmental, organization-wide and other meetings as requested.
- Performs other duties as assigned, including bookkeeping related duties.
Qualifications: (Experience, Skills, Education)
- Two year degree in Business Administration or equivalent experience
- Certified Occupancy Specialist (and LIHTC or RD credentials as required)
- Certified Manager of Housing
- Certified Manager of Maintenance
- Certified in Providing and Assessing Reasonable Accommodations
- Knowledge of applicable policies and procedures (e.g. HUD, LIHTC, RD, etc.) governing assisted and/or subsidized housing and the recertification process
- Knowledge of HUD forms and website
- Knowledge of OneSite property management software a plus
- Attention to detail and understanding of personal financial documents
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively (verbally and in writing)
- Superior administrative and organizational skills
- Demonstrated computer skills in Microsoft Office products, e-mail, etc.
- Experience with bank reconciliations, manage on line banking and perform customer bill management.
- Bilingual Spanish and/or Portuguese a plus
- Willingness and ability to travel to Harborlight Community Partners properties
- Must possess a valid driver’s license and reliable automobile
- Required to sit for long periods of time
- Required to inspect all areas of properties managed, including basements and upper floors, in buildings without elevators
- Infrequent light physical effort required
- Salary depending on experience, 100% medical and dental for an individual, sick/holiday/vacation time.
- Harborlight Community Partners is an equal opportunity provider and employer. HCP is a creative and energetic place to work with a good motive and an opportunity to make the community a better place.